THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
- Mail Express, v3.0.0-3.0.1
When installing the Mail Express Outlook Add-in prerequisites using the bootstrapper provided in the Mail Express Administration portal, an error may be displayed when the installer is attempting to install the Visual Studio Tools for the Office System 3.0 Runtime. The error log displays the following text:
"Installing using command 'C:\DOCUME~1\johndoe\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD2.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' and parameters ' /q:a /c:"install /q /l"'
Process exited with code -2147023291
Status of package '.NET Framework Client Profile' after install is 'InstallUnknown'
Status of package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' after install is 'InstallFailed'."
Perform one of the following:
- Install VSTO runtime manually before running the bootstrapper - the redist install does not rely on this registry key.
- Delete the registry value "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\Microsoft\vsto runtime Setup" before running the bootstrapper.
- To avoid the registry keys hanging around after uninstall of VSTO runtime SP1, do the following:
- Open the Add/Remove Programs utility.
- Click View Installed Updates.
- Locate VSTO runtime SP1 and uninstall the update. This will uninstall VSTO runtime SP1, remove the SP1 setup keys and leave the RTM version.
- Go back to the regular program list in the Add/Remove Programs utility and uninstall VSTO runtime. This will then uninstall RTM and its associated setup keys in the registry.
This error can occur when the Visual Studio Tools have been previously installed and then uninstalled using Windows' Add/Remove Programs utility. Some registry entries that are used by the bootstrapper to verify whether the software is currently installed are not removed during the uninstall process. The result of this is that the bootstrapper believes that the software is already installed.