THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
- CuteFTP Home versions 7.2 and 8.0
- CuteFTP Pro® versions 7.2 and 8.0
When using CuteFTP, and attempting to initiate a Passive mode data transfer, the following status error is encountered:
227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx)
STATUS:> Port collision detected, retrying...
This issue is caused when an attempt is made to use a data port that is already in use. This problem most often occurs when attempting a connection to a server that is experiencing heavy usage.
FIX OR WORKAROUND
Usually, CuteFTP will retry on its own and recover. If the problem persists, try the applicable solution below.
IF YOU ARE USING CUTEFTP VERSION 7.2:
- Update to CuteFTP version 7.2.1 or higher. For most users, the changes made in CuteFTP 7.2.1 will fully address this issue.
IF YOU ARE USING CUTEFTP VERSIONS 8.0.0 OR 8.0.1:
- Update to CuteFTP version 8.0.2 or higher. This issue occurred more frequently in CuteFTP 7.2, 8.0.0 and 8.0.1. For most users, the changes made in CuteFTP 8.0.2 will fully address this issue.
IF YOU ARE USING CUTEFTP VERSION 7.2.1 OR 8.0.2 OR HIGHER:
- Option 1: Disconnect from the server, wait a few minutes and then retry.
- Option 2: Use Port mode. To switch from Passive mode to Port mode, follow the instructions below.
- Using CuteFTP Home: In the Site Manager, click once on the name of the problem site. On the Type tab, change the Data Connection Type to Use Port.
- Using CuteFTP Professional: In the Site Manager, right-click on the name of problem site and click Site Properties. On the Type tab, change the Data Connection Type to Use Port.
- Option 3: Configure CuteFTP so that only one file is transferred at a time. For instructions, see Globalscape Knowledgebase Article 10448.
- Option 4: If the error persists, please contact the GlobalSCAPE Technical Support Team. If it exists, please be prepared to provide a copy of the auto-generated port collision error log file located at C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\GlobalSCAPE\CuteFTP(or CuteFTP Pro)\8.0\pasvmap.dat.