THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
When troubleshooting connection problems or file upload or download problems, it is often essential for the technician to see the connection log that is displayed in the Log pane. The connection log contains a complete list of all communications between CuteFTP and the remote FTP server you are connecting with.
Attempt your connection or transfer first, then when the action fails, copy and paste the entire RAW connection log into your message, submission or forum post. If you are not already familiar with the procedure, follow the steps shown below using CuteFTP 6 or 7, Home or Professional.
First, make sure that the log is visible to you. If you are using CuteFTP Pro, the log is visible by default. In CuteFTP Home, the Log pane is hidden by default. For CuteFTP Home, refer to the screenshot below. If the Log pane is not visible then turn it on by pressing ALT + 2.
Now, make sure that the log contains all of the details necessary for troubleshooting. For the log to be most useful it needs to be in RAW format including file lists, permissions and time stamps.
To configure log details
- On the Tools menu, click Global Options.
- On the left side, expand General and click Logs.
- Select the Record/Display raw directory listing in logs check box.
- On the left side, click Log Files.
- Select the Record/Display time stamps in logs check box.
- Click OK to close Global Options.
To initiate a connection with the remote FTP site
- Press F4 to open the Site Manager. (If you do not yet have the site setup in the Site Manager, press CTRL + J to start the Connection Wizard and follow the instructions.)
- Double-click on the name of the relevant site to connect.
- Duplicate the error.
- When the error appears, click Close.
- Right-click someplace in the Log Pane and click Copy Entire Log to Clipboard.
Now that the log file is on the Clipboard, you can paste it into your message, submission or forum post. Paste in the entire log. If you are concerned about sharing your FTP account user name, then you can edit it out. Your password will not be shown in the log.
The CuteFTP Home Main Screen