THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
Upon upgrading, the following error is presented:
The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1.0.dll is missing from your computer.
This error indicates that the C++ redistributable is not installed. This is not a problem that is unique to CuteFTP.
The problem is that the KB2999226 (Universal CRT), which is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable, failed to install. The Universal CRT fails to install if the necessary prerequisites (other updates) have not been installed yet.
- Install Windows Updates:
- Right-click the Start icon, then click Settings.
- In Windows Settings, click Update & Security.
- Check for updates and install all available updates.
- After the updates are installed, restart your computer.
- After the restart repeat the steps above again until no more updates are available.
- Download the Visual C++ Redistributable:
Run the vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) or vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) and select Uninstall
Run the .exe again and select Install.
- For Windows 64-bit: Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 (64-bit)
- For Windows 32-bit: Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 (32-bit)
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!