THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
- Mail Express v4.x and later
In a standard installation, the Mail Express Outlook Add-In interface is initially hidden from the user. This is intended to accommodate those users who may not react well to even the slightest change. However, many users appreciate the added productivity when fully leveraging Mail Express, which requires some use of the simple and intuitive Mail Express user interface. While choosing to display the Mail Express user interface is quick and easy, some organizations may prefer to deploy the Mail Express Outlook Add-In with the user interface already enabled in order to save their users that step and avoid any questions on how to do so.
The setting that governs whether or not the interface is visible is specific to each user’s local installation of the Mail Express Outlook Add-In. It is stored as the PrimaryToolbarVisible parameter of the file %AppData%\Globalscape\Mail Express Outlook Addin\settings.config and is changed automatically when a user chooses to show or hide the interface. When deploying the Mail Express Outlook Add-In to user workstations (using your preferred deployment utility), you may choose to add a step to the process after successful installation to perform one of the two following actions while Outlook is closed:
- Modify the PrimaryToolbarVisible parameter of the settings.config XML file to “true” rather than the default “false” value.
- Deploy a preconfigured settings.config file that has the PrimaryToolbarVisible parameter defined as “true” already.
There are other parameters in the settings.config file that you may also find interesting to define for users based on their anticipated preferences, such as the ReceiveDownloadNotifications parameter that controls whether the sending user is notified via email when a recipient of a package sent through Mail Express has retrieved a file from that package, defined in the user interface’s Default Send Options tab and selectable for each message with attachments managed by Mail Express.
To familiarize yourself with the contents of this file and to test performing this change manually, can follow the steps below on a system with the Mail Express Outlook Add-In installed:
- Open Outlook and validate that the Mail Express user interface is not currently visible.
- Close Outlook.
- Browse the local file system to view the %AppData%\Globalscape\Mail Express Outlook Addin folder.
- Open settings.config in a suitable editor.
- Find the PrimaryToolbarVisible parameter. It is set to “false” if the interface is not visible.
- Replace the “false” text with “true” to enable interactivity with the Mail Express user interface.
- Save the changes to the settings.config file.
- Open outlook and validate that the Mail Express user interface is now visible.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!