THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
- CuteFTP Pro®(All Versions)
- CuteFTP Home (All Versions) (Except ver. 8.0.0 - 8.0.4. See related article.)
When attempting a transfer, the following error is encountered:
ERROR:> Child transfer failed.
When transferring a folder that contains a number of files, this error may indicate that one or more of the items inside that folder failed to transfer. You can check your connection log to find a more detailed error describing why the item failed to transfer.
In some other cases, the transfer send and receive buffer size may be set too high for the conditions. This is particularly true in the case of a high-latency or lossy network connection such as what might be experienced when connected via dialup, satellite or legacy CDMA wireless connections. By default CuteFTP uses a transfer send and receive buffer size of 65,536 bytes which is the normal maximum window size of TCP but may be more than your particular network connection or remote FTP server can reliably process.
We recommend setting both send and receive buffers to 4096 bytes. For most users lowering the buffer size to 4096 bytes will have little or no noticeable effect on transfer speeds. Advanced users may want to experiment with different buffer settings to obtain the highest reliable speeds.
Follow these steps to change the transfer send and receive buffer sizes:
- On the Tools menu click Global Options.
- Click Transfer and then type 4096 for both the Receive buffer and Send buffer size.
- Click OK and then restart CuteFTP.
If the error persists after changing the transfer send and receive buffer sizes, then it may be necessary to restrict CuteFTP further:
- In either CuteFTP Home or CuteFTP Pro, configure CuteFTP so that only one file is transferred at a time.
- If you are using CuteFTP Home, turn off Turbo Mode:
- On the Tools menu click Global Options and then click Transfer.
- Clear the Turbo Mode check box and then click OK.
- Restart CuteFTP and then retry the transfer. (Important: The change will not be effective until CuteFTP is restarted.)
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!