THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
- CuteFTP 8 running on Windows XP SP2 with Windows Firewall disabled and another firewall program in use.
When attempting to transfer a Microsoft Access Database file (.mdb file), the transfer is prohibited from starting and CuteFTP appears to hang. It may be necessary to restart the computer before another FTP connection can be established. The same or similar behavior may be observed when using other FTP clients.
This problem is not caused by CuteFTP. Even though it may be disabled, Windows Firewall may still be controlling port 21 whenever a transfer of a .mdb file is initiated.
Remove the third-party firewall program and activate Windows Firewall by following the steps shown below:
- In Control Panel, start Windows Firewall.
- On the General tab, click On.
- On the Advanced tab, in the Network Connection Settings area, click on your network connection and then click Settings.
- Select the FTP Server check box. (If prompted for Service Settings, it is usually okay to leave those at the default and then click OK)
- Click OK to close Advanced Settings and click OK once more to close Windows Firewall.